Thank you for your interest in working for the Minnesota Council of Churches. We are pleased to offer a competitive benefits package, including:
Gold Medical insurance plan
Vacation and holiday pay
Employer contributing retirement plan
Flexible Spending Accounts
As an Equal Opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, creed, color, national origin, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
Title: Interfaith Associate Community Organizer
Employment Status: 1 FTE, Regular, Non-exempt
Reports To: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
ORGANIZATIONAL BACKGROUND: The Minnesota Council of Churches (MCC) links together more than 1 million people of faith to build the common good. The Council’s program areas include building interfaith relationships, social justice advocacy, and refugee services. A premiere statewide council of churches, MCC is constituted by its 25 member Historical Black Church, Mainline Protestant, and Orthodox regional denominational offices.
MCC has an opening for an Interfaith Associate Organizer to work on a full-time, two-year termto lead faith communities and other institutions to powerfully engage in mobilization and innovative civic engagement effort in the Twin Cities, beginning in the East Metro. There is potential for the project beyond two years. The Interfaith Associate Organizer will work with MCC staff, Muslim American Society (MAS) staff, and ISAIAH staff to build and lead an organizing program to recruit volunteers, develop capacity and leadership in congregations, and define a series of social justice and interfaith relational building campaigns.
The Associate Organizer will:
- Build powerful relationships with staff, volunteers, and top leaders in mosques, churches, and synagogues.
- Work with staff and leadership teams to implement organizing programs in 4-5 mosques, 4-12 churches, and 1-2 synagogues.
- Train volunteer leaders to do one on ones, congregational meetings, and house meetings to build the movement for social change.
- Form, coach, and support volunteer leadership teams to implement engagement program.
- Coordinate logistics and systems to collect data, communicate with leadership network, and ensure leadership teams have what they need to succeed.
- Meet regularly with MCC and MAS staff supervising the position and with ISAIAH staff coaching the associate organizer in community organizing strategies.
- Organize and implement the annual Taking Heart Ramadan Iftar educational and relationship building dinners.
- Quick learner
- High integrity, strong work ethic, and “do whatever it takes” approach
- Self-starter, flexible problem solver
- Eager to learn: a good listener and capable of working well with people from different back grounds
- Highly relational and able to quickly build rapport
- Able to independently set goals and use them to guide daily actions
- Open to evaluation and direction from supervisor and peer learning with agitation from colleagues
- A passion for social justice and grassroots organizing as a means for social change
- A demonstrated ability to work independently and manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment
- A demonstrated ability to work with diverse faith communities, racial and cultural groups, and stakeholders
- Ease working with a smart phone
- Basic computer skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Office and Internet applications
- Reliable transportation, valid driver’s license, and proof of valid auto insurance
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND CONDITIONS:
Normal office conditions and regular office hours, Monday-Friday. This position works out of the MCC’s office at 122 West Franklin Avenue in Minneapolis. Much of the time will be spent in the community.
COMPENSATION: The Associate Organizer will be paid a salary of $42-45,000, depending on experience. This is a non-exempt, full-time position. Benefits include medical insurance, dental, life, retirement, sick leave, vacation, and holiday benefits as provided by MCC human resources policy.
THIS POSITION IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SEE LINK TO APPLICATION FORM BELOW
SUBMIT COMPLETED APPLICATION, RESUME, COVER LETTER TO:
Minnesota Council of Churches * 122 West Franklin Ave #100 * Minneapolis MN 55404
Phone: 612-230-3204 * FAX: 612-870-3622 * firstname.lastname@example.org